The blog this year is really good as it is simple and easy to use with a good layout so you can present your information clearly. A really good feature of the blog is categories. This groups together all posts of a certain subject so it is easy to gain the information you need. You can also have widgets such as grooveshark so you can put music on your blog so show your ideas for trailers and get opinions on them through comments or by using polls provided by wordpress. It also allows us to get a lot of audience feedback through polls and commenting etc and because you can put up videos from youtube of your trailer or existing trailers for research and get opinions. The blog has also got a link to our teachers’ blogs so they can see exactly what we have done and comment us back with feedback and in this way we can make sure we know exactly what we are doing and improve on it. Also, looking at other people’s blogs helps us learn new techniques on the blog and get inspiration.
RESEARCH, PLANNING AND FEEDBACK
The internet has played a big part in my research and planning. Youtube has allowed me to look at existing trailers and embed them on my blog to analyse and get feedback on. This has helped me then pick out the features that I would like to use in my own trailer. This also applies to existing magazines and posters. For my feedback I used several techniques. I filmed friends answer questions about my trailer and ancillary texts and I did this in an interview kind of way. I set up a camera on a tripod and set it facing my friend. I made sure I picked someone that was close enough to be completely honest and sensible so my answers were completely valid. To then put this on my blog, I edited the clips together using premiere elements and then uploaded the film to youtube and embedded it in a blog post. It has also supplied me with polls and surveys that I got people to answer to get the opinions of my audience and to let poeple know about them and to ask people to complete them I used emails through school and also links on facebook.
For my actual filming I used a digital video camera. I found the actual buttons quite easy to use but I found problems with other technical issues. Lighting was a problem for me because I wanted some really bright shots to show the happy mood but then other more dull shots to reflect the sadness. With the bright shots, I tried to use natural sunlight but shots often came out too bright and trhen you couldn’t really see what was happening and then with the darker shots they came out extremely dark and fuzzy and were completely useless. I found then that for the darker shots it was easier to just film on a cloudy day and made the girl wear dark clothing to create a dark effect and they came out perfectly. When putting it together on the computer I used premiere elements and it was a lot of trial and error and self- taught which was good because I found effects by accident that I probably wouldn’t of thought of using before. I used a lot of fading in and out and changed the levels of some clips to enhance the brightness or to make the darker clips a bit smoother to look at. I also edited the extreme close up of the girl’s eyes to enhance the emotion so I made them darker by changing the levels and saturation. I also use audacity to get my music off of Youtube and then transfered the file over to premiere elements and faded out the end. At first I used the premiere elements tool for my text but after looking at audience feedback I found that they were really not effective so I then made them on Photoshop using screen shots from the film.
I used Photoshop for my film in my titles. I took screenshots from my trailer for my actor titles and inserted them into Photoshop and then I cropped them to take up half of my canvas and then picked a simple font that could look as if someone had typed it out as a story as I thought this fitted with my genre. I also got an image of a heart off the internet and cropped it by using te magic wand and using the similar tool and inserted this in to reflect the romantic comedy genre.
Here is 2 expamples of my titles:
I also used photoshop for my poster and magazine cover. I changed the levels of my photos to make them look more like magazine images and also cropped them and smudged in the backgrounds to cut of anything irrelevant and draw attention to the girl. I also used a lot of trail and error and self-taught myself on Photoshop however, I had the slight adavantage on this compared to premiere elements as we used this software last year.